ad banner

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ok, so I finally caved...

Yes, I now have a blog. I can't believe I've finally succumbed to society's pressures!

Ok, you have a blog, but who are you?
I'm a 26 year old mom of two: Jacob, my crazy 5 year old, and Joshua, my 2 week old  little chunk. I'm married to my high school sweetheart and we all live in DFW. Jacob attends Montessori school while I'm Joshua's moo cow all day. I organize an awesome playgroup: DFW Fantastic Families and bus Jacob to and from soccer and karate. I'm never at home for more than 18 hours at a time and I think I might explode if I were! Seriously, those 2 1/2 days in the hospital when Joshua was born were absolute torture!

WTF is a Puffy Mommy?
"Puffy" is a term a friend of mine and I came up with for parents who do crunchy things for non-crunchy reasons; specifically, because they are cheap and lazy. Kind of how there are Crunchy Cheetos and Puffy Cheetos. It's not that I don't care about the environment or bonding with my children, but if the things on the list below were a PITA and/or expensive, I probably wouldn't be doing them.

My personal list is:

Cloth Diapering - If you take the time to do the math, you'll see how much money you can save on cloth diapering. If you factor in extra trips to the store if you run out, it's also easier to do it! We use GroBaby diapers (now called GroVia Hybrid). These diapers are one-size, and fit Joshua from birth and Jacob at 4 1/2 (I was still pregnant and needed a model).

Baby Wearing - We chose to get a $45 convertible car seat for Joshua rather than a much more expensive infant car seat. This left us with a problem...how do you carry the baby around when you're out and about without straining your arms? Hello ERGObaby Sport! We had to get a Heart2Heart infant insert in order to use this from the beginning, but since Jacob can fit into it, I figure it's a good deal.

Intact - Yes, my baby boys have their foreskin. I'm not paying for a medically unnecessary surgery. Luckily, the trend is heading in my boys' favor as fewer people are choosing to circumcise, so the whole "locker room" issue will no longer be one. Plus, who wants to deal with Vaseline and crap if you don't have to?

Vaginal Birth - Same as above...I don't care that I have big babies; God made a hole for them to come out of, I'm not paying for a surgery if I don't have to.

Breastfeeding - This one is a one-two punch. Cheaper; you can't beat free, AND easier; no mixing bottles and carrying around extra crap, no trips to the store when you run out, and no getting out of bed in the middle of the night, which segues to:

Co-Sleeping - GASP, her baby sleeps IN HER BED?!?! Yes. I learned with Jacob that I don't like having to leave my bed multiple times in the middle of the night. Since I'm breastfeeding, I just plug Joshua in and fall asleep. He can latch on and off as necessary and I only really have to wake up for an occasional flip to switch sides. He gets more sleep since he's not being totally woken up by hunger and I get more sleep because I don't have to get out of bed. Win/Win. I seriously don't move in my sleep with a baby in the bed (just ask my back). We also saved money by not buying a crib. We purchased a Baby Trend Playard with Close N Cozy bassinet so when I want to have some space, I can. Bonus: I have a place to store Joshua's diapers so it's easy to change him when he's in our room.


Hand-me-downs - Probably 98% of Joshua and Jacob's clothes are previously worn thanks to the generosity of family and friends. I have never "needed" to buy the boys clothes. It's a good feeling to be so loved!




I guess that's about it from me today. Thanks for taking the time to read ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment